School Impovement Plan
School Targets 2018 - 2021
Teaching & Learning
• Ensure high quality outcomes are maintained for learners in the new nursery and reception stage.
• Further develop transition pathways for all learners placing emphasis on EHCP/IEP outcomes
which promote wellbeing and employability beyond the 19+ offer.
• Implement robust and innovative formative and summative assessment and tracking systems
using relevant new technologies in keeping with the changing attitudes towards assessment
without P -Scales.
• Promote continuous improvement in raising core standards of literacy, life skills and PSHE so that
our learners achieve outcomes which enable them to participate positively and actively in adult
• Increase the level of independent skills/functional based learning throughout all foundation
subjects to ensure that the challenge in learning leads to outstanding outcomes and progress for
all learners in adult life.
• Explore, develop and broaden the outdoor curriculum offer so that pupils have increased access
to dynamic, real life learning experiences.
• Further the learning curriculum for Early Years focussing on giving a breadth of opportunities for
a range of play and exploration to awaken learning and widen interests.
• Develop online and social media opportunities alongside raising awareness of safety and
developing strategies for reducing risks for pupils/students of all ages.
• Evaluate, review and refine the newly developed 6th form curriculum in its capacity to achieve
outstanding outcomes for all learners.
• Continue developing the wide range of curriculum opportunities appropriate to all learners of all
ages to develop core values of honesty, openness and acceptance of differences within their
• Further develop work based experiences for learners within the curriculum in order to prepare
them for employment.
• Provide continuous training and mentoring for Middle leaders so that they continue to improve
their capacity to effect whole school change and development.
• Establish the use of a greater range of assessment tools to measure pupils’ personal, social
development. In conjunction with other special schools to have developed and analysed
appropriate descriptors for assessing outcomes for all pupils.
• Continue to ensure that there is excellent provision and tracking methods for learners eligible
for Pupil Premium.
• To look into alternative research and evidence based study to improve curriculum and learning
outcomes for all (through ITT, Action research and related courses).
• Continue to expand training opportunities for staff at all levels across the school, cluster and
local authority inclusive of SEN packages.
• Continue to provide high quality training packages for all staff to improve their practice so that
“all" demonstrate outstanding teaching and support.
• Review and refine the staffing structure to reflect the growth and evolution of the school.
• To continue to develop CGS as a safe haven for all, where all feel understood and valued.
• To establish Mental Health Champions in the school to further understanding and
acknowledgement of the importance of a positive attitude towards emotional wellbeing for all
members of the school community.
• To ensure all staff feel that CGS can and will support them through professional and personal
• Raise the awareness of mental health issues amongst all staff and provide training and support
to enskill staff to respond confidently to pupils’/students’ emotional, spiritual and physical needs.
• To ensure that there is excellent provision to put in place early support through a range of
interventions or provision where needed.
• Develop “pupil voice” to enable a greater range of pupils to express opinion, convey
information or decide upon actions intrinsic to the development and governance of the school.
• Continue to work with the authority to expand the development of parent and family support
• Achieve Gold Standard Healthy School’s status, continuing to promote all aspects of personal
School Environment and Community Links
• Complete a purpose built facility for a nursery provision.
• Manage the new build to allow for appropriate expansion of CGS to meet growing need in pupil
• Offer an extended range of high quality bespoke training packages/courses /support through
the cluster (MTCT), the teaching school (MSTA) and CGS, to develop and support all members of
thecommunity – pupils, families, staff and governors.
• Using multi-media; showcase the school and its ethos to continue to attract staff in developing
outstanding teaching skills, special needs expertise and management skills.
• Expand the range of available therapeutic interventions by developing the therapy team at CGS
to further develop the emotional literacy and wellbeing of all learners.
• Ensure that the buildings for the whole school are fit for purpose, offering a high standard of
curriculum opportunities to all of its learners.
• Develop the outward facing arm of the school by creating local, national and international links.
• Create and set up two more local sites for Project Search.